রবিবার, ২৮ ফেব্রুয়ারী ২০২১, ১০:১৩ অপরাহ্ন
Pioneer of non-government university in Bangladesh and Founder Vice-Chancellor of IUBAT University Prof Dr M Alimullah Miyan passed away at 7:35 AM on Wednesday, May 10, 2017. (inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un).
The first Namaz-e-Janaza will take place at Sector 6 (Uttara, Dhaka) Mosque today (May 10) after Asr prayer.
Second Namaz-e-Janaza will take place at Dhaka University Mosque after Zuhr Prayer and third Namaz-e-Janaza will take place at IUBAT University premise after Asr Prayer on Thursday, May 11, 2017.
The Members of the IUBAT Community will mourn the death of Prof Miyan throughout May 11, 2017.
Professor Dr M Alimullah Miyan was the Founder Vice-Chancellor of the IUBAT— International University of Business Agriculture and Technology in Dhaka established in 1991. After completing his Honours and Masters degrees at Dhaka University, he received his MBA at Indiana University, USA and his Doctorate at Manchester Business School, UK.
Dr. Miyan was a professor of marketing science 1980. He has published extensively on Human Resources and Business Management, Industrial Relations, Marketing, Social Development Programs, Climate Change, Sustainability, Disaster Management, Coastal Zone Management, Family Planning, Energy Policy and Education as well as he is a Lead Author of the Special Report on Extreme Events and Climate Change, Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), Geneva, Switzerland. In addition, Dr. Miyan has undertaken research and evaluation on Public Administration, Management Strategies for Small Business and Government, as well as Training’ Needs for the Health and Family Planning Sectors.
Dr. Miyan has consulted widely and for many International Agencies including the EU, UNDP, World Bank, Asian Development Bank, IPCC, WMO, IGBP, APN, European Union, USAID, IOC, CARE, The Aga Khan Foundation, UNICEF, UNESCO, Mennonite Central Committee, World Vision, DANIDA, ILO, UNFPA, FAO, UNWFP, OECD, ADPC, Commonwealth Secretariat, in addition to his numerous consultancies for the Bangladesh Government and nongovernment organizations.
Dr. Miyan was the Chairman of the Regional Centre of Expertise on Education for Sustainable Development (RCE) Greater Dhaka, a Founding Executive Board Member, Association of Management Development Institutions in South Asia (AMDISA); Executive Member, International Society for Labour and Social Security Law; Member, International Labour and Employment Relations Association, Geneva; Member, Society for International Development, Rome; Regional Chair, International Association of University Presidents (IAUP), USA; a Rotarian and Past President of Rotary Club of Dhaka and Greater Dhaka and is affiliated with many development and management organizations at home and abroad.
Professor Miyan served in the following portfolios:
1. Vice-Chancellor, IUBAT—International University of Business Agriculture and Technology and Professor, College of Business Administration (CBA), April, 1994 to date.
2. President, IUBAT—International University of Business Agriculture and Technology and Professor, College of Business Administration (CBA), 1991 to 1994.
3. Director and Professor, Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Dhaka University, 1986-93.
4. Associate Professor, IBA, Dhaka University, August, 1973‑90
5. Founder Chairman, Centre for Population Management and Research (CPMR), IBA, Dhaka University, 1979‑84.
6. Visiting Professor, Department of Vocational and Technical Education, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria, Summer, 1981.
7. Assistant Professor, IBA, Dhaka University, 1968 to 1973.
8. Senior Lecturer, Department of Commerce, Dhaka University, 1964‑68.
9. Research Associate, Social Science Research Committee, Dhaka University, 1963‑64.
10.Lecturer in Commerce, Saadat College, Karatia, Tangail, September‑October, 1963.
Professor Miyan had following professional, academic and social affiliations:
1. Regional Chair and Member, UN Commission on Disarmament Education, Conflict Resolution and Peace, International Association of University Presidents (IAUP), USA.
2. Member, International Association of University President, USA.
3. Member, The University of Manchester Alumni Association, Bangladesh.
4. Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Journals of Marketing Vistas, Hyderabad, India.
5. Member, The University of Manchester’s Alumni Association, UK.
6. Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Marketing Vistas, Hyderabad, India.
7. Secretary General, Association of Private Universities of Bangladesh (APUB), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
8. Member, Executive Board, Association of Management Development Institutions in South Asia (AMDISA), 2009-2011.
9. Member, Experts Group, UN Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction 2009, Switzerland.
10.Chairperson, Quality Assurance and Improvement Council (QAIC), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
11.Convener, Committee on Quality Assurance, APUB, Dhaka, Bangladesh
12.Member, Executive Committee, International Society for Labor and Social Security Law (ISL&SSL), Geneva, Switzerland, 2006-2009.
13.Member, Executive Board, Association of Management Development Institutions in South Asia (AMDISA), 1998-2000.
14.Founder, IUBAT—International University of Business Agriculture and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1989
15.Member, International Industrial Relations Association, Geneva, Switzerland, 1989 onward.
16.Member, National Geographic Society, USA.
17.Member, International Society for Labor and Social Security Law (ISL&SSL), Geneva, Switzerland.
18.Member, Bangla Academy, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
19.Life Member , BETA, GAMA, & SIGMA‑ the society of distinguished business graduates in the USA., 1968
20.Life Member, Society for International Development, Bangladesh Chapter.
21.Member, Founding Executive Board, AMDISA, 1988‑89.
22.Chief Advisor, Uttara Sector 10 Welfare Association, Dhaka
23.Life Member, Bangladesh Economic Association, Dhaka.
24.Life Member, Comilla Peoples Welfare Association.
25.Life Member, Chandina Thana Association.
26.Life Member, IBA Alumni Association, IBA, Dhaka University.
27.Life Member, American Alumni Association of Bangladesh.
28.Vice-Chairman, Rural and Urban Poverty Eradication Association (RUPEA)
29.Member, Chandina Thana Advisory Council.
30.Past President, Rotary Club of Dhaka.
31.Past President and Member, Rotary Club of Greater Dhaka.
32.Permanent Member, Dhaka Club.
33.Permanent Member, Uttara Club, Dhaka.
Prof Miyan was a visionary and has made enormous contribution to education, human development, peace and women empowerment. He had generous nature, sense of humor and had been a versatile educationist with all human qualities.
Late Prof Miyan will be brought to the IUBAT University premises at 10:00 AM on Thursday, May 11, 2017 for homage and honors by well-wishers and the namaz-e-janaza will take place after Zuhr prayer at the university premises.
Well wishers, admirers, students and colleagues of Prof Miyan are requested to pray for the salvation of his departed soul.